Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You're Kidding Right Some What Of A Fashion Post... Oh No Really?



A couple days ago I was in the library and found this book called "Fashion Victim, our love hate relationship with dressing, shopping and the cost of style". It is actually really good it was written in 2003 but it is not very out of date as far as fashion is concerned. It is sectioned into parts while reading the first I found some interesting things I thought that my blogger friends would find interesting even though most of my family did not. OK so the major thing is that designers engage in multi million dollar licensing deals offering their names for use by others to make and promote a variety of products. In the 1970's designers like Valentino and Pierre Cardin began to license their names for everything from sheets to luggage to toilet-seat covers, by 1970 the House of Cardin had licensed its name for use on more then 600 products. Kenneth Cole has admitted that his company licenses out most of what it does, except shoes and women's handbags. Also some other well-known brands make the products for other well know brands. Fossil designs, manufactures, markets and distributes Burberry watches. Liz Claiborne holds the exclusive license to design and produce DKNY jeans. Estee Lauder holds rights to make fragrances for both Tommy Hilfiger and Donna Karen. There are many other interesting things in the book too, which I totally recommend. Today is busy as usual, work in the morning then come home post, go back to my job for my little brother's swim lessons, work out, come home eat dinner and then do it all over again tomorrow. OK I know this wasn't very fashiony but it was still about fashion :) hopefully a nice long fashion post will be in the works very soon

have a great night

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I always wonder who's REALLY designing the stuff.

Anonymous said...

it's kind of disappointing to read this considering a lot of people buy a designer based on the fact that he/she should be the one making the stuff! great post. one friendly reminder...the title of the post should read 'you're kidding' instead of 'your kidding.' :)

the assistant said...

thanks for the tip I was wrting kind of fast

Emma Bennet said...

Hey I love that!!! Check out my blog at www.ourplaylist.blogspot.com
www.greencrazymonkey.blogspot.com

Luv: SwissGirl

Anonymous said...

so if we net it all down, will we find that just one person (company) is designing all the fashion in the world??!?!??! crazy!

TIG said...

The book sounds really interesting. Had no idea about Fossil and Burberry. {Thanks for your comment on my site.}

Caroline said...

i'm always looking for something interesting to read dealing with fashion. i might just give it a look.